ioquake3 is an entirely volunteer-run project and we need more volunteers! Please share this post with your friends.
If you love maintaining Linux servers, and specifically Ubuntu Server, this is the role for you. The ioquake3 project is looking for a qualified Linux Systems Administrator to assist with maintaining our Ubuntu VPS. We need someone to help maintain our server and it’s services, keep it running, and up-to-date.
The first major goal we need to accomplish is to move our web sites off of DreamHost and into Docker (or another container tool) on the VPS that Ryan “icculus” Gordon provides for our project.
This role should not require much of your time once you become familiar with our systems. A few hours a week should take care of it, outside of any large upgrades.
- 2+ years of experience with Linux Systems Administration. You need to have done this before if you’re going to help the project.
- Virtual Private Servers
- Docker or another containerization tool
- Apache configuration
- traefik and/or nginx
- PHP. You don’t have to be able to develop a new application in it, but most of the webapps we use make use of it.
- Experience working with other free or open source software projects.
- Domain registration
- Experience with terrible shared hosting providers
- 2+ Years of mediawiki
- 2+ Years of Jenkins
- 2+ Years of WordPress
- 2+ Years of Docker or another similar container tool
- dpmaster knowledge
Please write an introductory e-mail to zachary at ioquake dot org (there’s no 3 in the domain name for our email services) and we’ll discuss your future with the project.
Because this is a free software project and we receive what amounts to almost no donations please keep in mind that this is a VOLUNTEER ROLE. That also means you get to work entirely remotely. Woohoo!
If this role doesn’t sound good for you, there is plenty more work to be done. We need to make ioquake3 the best and easiest way to play Quake 3 on Windows, macOS, and Linux, develop new games, and play mods. This is your opportunity to contribute to an incredible free software project that needs your help. Get involved.
If you don’t have time to help, please contribute to Ryan’s Patreon campaign here.