Finally, after the merger of the separate codepaths for different operating systems to use SDL, one of the longest outstanding bugs on our bugtracker could be resolved. The latest version in our subversion repository supports the upcoming internet protocol version 6 completely. New features include:
- client-server connections via IPv6
- scanning for IPv6 servers on a local subnet
- client can now query multiple master servers for server list
- server lists from master server may contain IPv6 addresses
- new engine-side functions for banning clients from the server
For a quick overview of the new cvars and commands to use these new features, you can have a look at the changes in the README.
A server can handle ipv6 and ipv4 connections simultaneously, so don’t be surprised if a server shows up twice in the server list. IPv6 servers will be marked as using the “IPX” protocol for now, as support for this protocol has been dropped and the corresponding string needs to be changed to “UDP6” in the game code, so coders of modifications, please change ui_servers2.c accordingly.
There’s a test server running at ipv6.tjps.eu, which can only be reached via ipv6. Feel free to give it a go and find out how well the new protocol is performing!