ioquake3 is a free software (GPLv2+) first person shooter engine.
You can use it to play Quake 3: Arena and the mods people have made for it.
Make your own game from the source code.
Or play a game that someone else has made.
Thanks to hundreds of contributors, we’re proud to present this list of improvements:
- Hundreds of security flaws have been fixed!
- Off-server data downloads (http redirection) via HTTP and FTP with cURL.
- OpenAL sound rendering allowing for surround (5.1 and 7.1) speaker layouts and generally improved sound
quality. Especially on the Windows Vista Operating System.
- Ogg Vorbis audio decoding.
- In-engine VoIP support with speex.
- IPV6 Networking. We’re ready to frag on the net of the future!
- SDL backend for the OpenGL context, window management, and input. This also improves portability.
- Anaglyph stereo rendering (for viewing with 3D glasses.)
- Full x86-64 architecture support.
- Compilation with MinGW and cross-compilation for Windows from Linux.
- Improved console command auto-completion.
- Persistent console command history.
- Improved QVM (Quake Virtual Machine) tools.
- Colored terminal output on POSIX operating systems.
- GUID System.
- Multiuser support on Windows systems (user-specific game data is stored in their respective Application Data folders.)
- PNG format support for textures.
- Inter-Quake Model support.
Our ioquake3 dedicated game servers are provided by: